Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Mixed Media Frame

Hello! It's Monika here today with a mixed media project. I have always loved mixed media, but usually I don't have enough time to work on complex projects... while this project started out as a quick 'mixed media' card, I decided I shouldn't rush it... so I made it step-by-step, day-by-day, letting everything air dry...
 
 
 
It started out with a regular 5-1/2" x 4-1/4" piece of heavy cardstock. First I adhered some torn book pages to the cardstock, then I painted it over with white Gesso. Next I adhered some art stones, lace and dry wall tape to the background, using Gesso... it's a great adhesive...

 
Next came the messy part... coloring the background:


I used red mist from Maya Road and yellow mist from Michael's... I had to add yellow mica powder to the yellow to make it brighter...
While it didn't look great at first, after adding the embellishments, it all came together.


 
The greeting is from Be Encouraged clear stamp set, my go to stamp set these days... I love the inspirational words!
The embellishments were so much fun to put together... you can get really creative and use odd items, recycled materials... really, anything that you can put your hands on... I mostly used my Hot Glue Gun to adhere the embellishments... along with Soft Gloss Gel which is another great adhesive especially when you are looking for flexibility or applying glitter...
As I love butterflies, I added some pretty ones. The images are from Majestic Monarchs clear stamp set... while I used the now retired coordinating dies, the images are easy enough to hand cut. They are backed with black cardstock to add a nice contrast to the yellow...

Thanks for stopping by,
Monika
 

 
 

No comments: